The Dangers of Splenda:
Splenda is made from sucralose, a sugar substitute that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. It doesn’t have calories, so it’s marketed as a diet substitute for sugar. While most artificial sweeteners can’t be used in baking, sucralose remains stable when exposed to heat and over time, so it’s great for baking and has a longer shelf life.
This makes it a perfect sweetener for many processed foods, including baked goods, baking mixes, gum, candies, frostings, salad dressings, jams and jellies, processed fruits and fruit juices, flavored waters, fruit ices, syrups, sauces, toppings, imitation cheeses and dairy products (often the ones that are labeled “low fat”), milk substitutes, gelatins, puddings, fillings, and in beverages (The FDA gave permission for Splenda to be used in all those types of foods.)
Because it technically started as sugar, sucralose can be marketed as “made from sugar”, but it is not sugar.Sucralose is made by chemically altering the structure of sugar molecules by adding chlorine atoms in place of hydroxyl groups. Sucralose is therefore chlorinated sugar; a chlorocarbon. (Its chemical structure is only a few atoms away from the deadly pesticide DDT.)
Chlorocarbons are poisonous they’re used in bleach, disinfectants, insecticide, poison gas, and hydrochloric acid. (http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/bowen.html)
It appears in over 4000 products. To find and avoid these things, you have to actually be on a mission to do so, and read every ingredient label.
These are some of the adverse health effects:
• Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage)
• Enlarged liver and kidneys.
• Abnormal histopathological changes in spleen and thymus
• Increased cecal weight
• Reduced growth rate
• DNA Damage
• Adverse changes to gastrointestinal bacteria
• Abnormal Pelvic Mineralization
• Decreased red blood cell count
• Hyperplasia of the pelvis
• Aborted pregnancy (Maternal & Fetal Toxicity)
• Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
• Bowel inflammation
• Triggering migraine
• Increase glycosylation of hemoglobin (HbA1c) for diabetics
• Reduces the amount of good bacteria in your intestines by 50 percent
• Increases the pH level in your intestines
Here is a long list of personal testimonials from those who have suffered side effects from Splenda: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/12/03/sucralose-testimonials.aspx
Additionally, the government doesn’t monitor health effects after the initial tests. There is no warning information of potential side effects on the labels of the sweetener’s products.